Thursday, June 21, 2012

And so it begins

Last summer I attempted to start a blog to write about becoming a new mother, homeowner, and all the new challenges/experiences that come with. But boy I fell off the "blog wagon" very quickly....after two posts to be exact! Ironically, I think because I was in fact adjusting to my new roles as mommy and homemaker I just really did not have the time or energy to write posts, let alone interesting ones.

Well its a new summer, I've gotten my mommy and maid routine down, and I have decided to go for round two. I read my sweet friend Lauran's blog Real Young Housewife every day and I just love all her cutesy and honest posting. It really got me longing for a blog home of my own. With all the kid milestones, home projects, and wedding planning that I have to look forward to I certainly would have a lot to type about! But I am in school and the kid sure does keep me busy....so again I have been sitting on the idea for quite some time.

Fast forward to a website that I recently came across that really just got to me. Check it out here. 21 acts of kindness by strangers documented in photos. How can you not love this?? I try to pride myself on being thoughtful and kind to everyone I come in contact with, albeit challenging at times. Well on my morning walk with Ruby(if you don't know her I'll be introducing you soon) I got to thinking....I want to do more nice things for people just because. I don't want anything in return or any kind of reward....I simply want to start doing more random acts of kindness. It is said that it takes 30 days to make or break a habit....and I have a history with giving 30 day habit challenges to my hunny, which maybe I'll blog about later :) Anyway I decided to challenge MYSELF... to 30 days of random acts of kindness. Which I will document here for all my friends and family...and hopefully pick up some new bloggy friends along the way!!

My brain has really been ticking about all the cool and original things to do for people....lots of them at no financial expense! I can barely contain my excitement here people and I just can't wait to get started. So much so that I raced home from my morning walk and I got started on my first act!

Last week, the official last week of spring, was abnormally chilly. It was not the weather we are normally used to seeing past memorial day, but the breezy atmosphere was kind of nice in my opinion. Now, as the first day of summer officially came and went, it is like a temperature switch was flipped. I'm talking in the high 80s before 10:00 A.M..... combined with our humidity.... oh it makes for one hot sweaty day. Which brings me to my first act of kindness. I've been wanting to do something random and nice for our mail man for quite sometime...as I just like the thought of randomly opening up a mailbox (after countless hours of opening, delivering to others, and closing them) and having a little surprise in there for you! Being that its way too hot and he is such a nice mail man....he was on the top of my list.

I put a bottled water in the freezer to get it nice and cold. I thought if it was frozen he could let it melt and have a nice cold bottled water to sip on throughout his route. Our mail gets delivered pretty early though, so the bottle didn't have enough time to freeze. But I went with it anyway and attached a little note.

I tucked it into my mail box with a zip lock baggie of ice to at least keep it from getting tea water temperature!! I felt really good about it all day and hope it made his day a little better too! I went to actually get the mail a little later and found this:

I cannot begin to describe how excited this makes me!! Call me crazy....but I just love simple things like this. I can't wait to get more creative and hopefully brighten other people's day!!

So my fellow readers, I hope that you will follow along as I post about my 30 days of random acts of kindness and all the other things that complete my life. And maybe I can even inspire others to start completing their own random acts of kindness too!!

Until tomorrow,
Tatiana

5 comments:

  1. Ummm this has me soooo excited I may pee my pants!!! I can't wait to share it with EVERYONE!!!!! And I may have just gotten teary eyed thinking how grateful your mail man probably was!!!! #465 why I love you my dear friend! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tat,

    I just read this and got chocked up. I read it out loud to my mom, chills took over and we decided we are going to do the SAME THING! Good for you! Can't wait to read more...this made me miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. so apparently this girl Lauran loves you. and now I do too. you are amazing. and your little act of kindness ... I'm going to do that today. It's going to be 95+ here in KS today. thank you for inspiring me. did I tell you ... you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started bloggin too, more for myself than anything, but I love running into people like you who arent scared to just be who you are and let people get to know you and see peices of you.

    This was a great post. I have done similar things like this, some things I found brought me the most joy were cooking a side dish for your local Ronald McDonld House (they normally have sign ups but can always use food) or taking brownies to my local fire station.

    I wish you all the best and cant wait to see what else you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, Tat! I too try to be kind to others all the time, but making it a more conscious effort every day is a good mission. Within the last two weeks, I have brought clothes in to my classroom for two boys whose family life doesn't allow for a lot of new anything. Then another day, I brought in some more clothes for three little girls that were just thrilled with the cute styles Sawyer has outgrown. Then on Wednesday this week, my co-teacher lives from paycheck to paycheck (we didn't get paid until today) and I noticed on Tuesday that she didn't eat any lunch because she didn't bring any. I immediately knew why. So I went home made her a loaf of pumpkin bread that I have given her before and along with a big bowl of lemony tuna orzo and artichoke salad. She was thrilled and ate the whole damn thing. She is so kind to others, and it made me feel good to be kind to her. Thanks, Tat, for being an inspiration. I will be looking forward to hearing what else you do! Love, Tata Ange

    ReplyDelete